Friday, July 1, 2011

The Art of Motivation

Being motivated to do work, or anything for that matter can be a real challenge. Staying motivated throughout the entire time I've been developing Approaching Dawn has definitely not been easy and was probably the most challenging part of the entire design/development process.

There were times throughout the development where I had ceased to do any work at all for many weeks due to just feeling all 'creatived' out. In fact not being motivated was probably one of the main reasons I did not get the game finished before the end of the sixth YoYo Games competition - which was September 1st, 2010. It's been quite some time since that deadline passed and looking back now motivation is what I struggled with the most.

This blog post will outline some ways that I 'got' my motivation back, and some tips on what not to do. So without further ado I'll begin:

Don't Get Ahead Of Yourself
A pretty simple one, and a motivation killer, especially when you find yourself overwhelmed with the massive plans you had made. Know your limits, and if you think your plans are a bit big, make it smaller, big doesn't necessarily mean better.

Don't Overwork Yourself
Simple, don't spend too much time each day/week on your project, because I found this also leads to having no motivation. Like everything you need moderation, and doing 8 hour days working on a project only helps you wanting to have a month, or two, or three break.

Don't Create Multiple Projects To Work On At Once
Working on many projects at once can be very overwhelming. Splitting your time up, keeping motivation and creativity for all of them can be very difficult. So stick to one, you can always write another story, or develop another game, or paint a picture after you've finished the one you're working on.

Find The Inspiration
Find a source of inspiration, this could be reading novels, playing games of the genre that you want to make, all sorts of things. I found a person who inspired me and gave me motivation to do work, the sky is the limit when looking for it!

Mix It Up
Especially when designing games, don't stay doing one thing for hours and hours, mix it up - change what you're doing. Example: I've been programming cutscenes, take a break from them and do some level design instead, or spriting etc. Doing the same thing can be very boring after a while and boredom does sap away at your motivation!

Force Yourself
There are times where you just don't 'feel' like working on it, or times where you say 'I have no motivation', do something about it! Force yourself to do a bit of programming, or a bit of writing, even if it turns out trashy it can be cleaned up later on, as long as you're working then you should be able to start generating ideas and well, getting some motivation!

Go Outside, Walk, Exercise
Going outside for a walk or doing some exercise after a few hours of working on my projects allowed me to clear my mind, relax and feel a lot better and a lot more keener to get work done when I came back. Heck, even just the feeling of being outside and fresh made me feel a lot better.

DO SOMETHING
It's all good to go and read stuff on how to be motivated, but that won't motivate you. It is up to YOU to do something, so the longer you sit there thinking about how to get motivated the more time you're wasting! The best way is to slowly pick away at the things you've learnt on how to stay motivated and keep doing it.

There are plenty other things to get you motivated out there, not just the ones I've mentioned. Some of them might not even work for you, the important thing is though you do something, sitting around thinking about how to get motivated isn't very productive!

As for me, back to work I go!

Andrew

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, I too find motivation to be one of the hardest things about developing a game on your own. Great post!

    ReplyDelete