Friday, August 20, 2010

AD: Graphics, Gameplay and.... Other?

Well, it's been 10 days since by last blog post (got to love to hate school). So, some more things have been happening in Approaching Dawn, spiffy new graphics for some of the old stuff! At the beginning of AD I wanted to 'anti-alias' the whole game, but after doing it to a few sprites (and leaving them in there), I scrapped the idea. I also created a few 'place-holder' graphics (such as doors etc.) whilst I then fill them in later with better ones. Well the time has come and I'm replacing quite a few sprites, especially doors (love doors).

The first and most important door that I wanted to alter was the 'real' Temple entrance. The original entrance looked too similar to the 'fake' entrance (it was a copy, to be honest) and it didn't give the 'feel' that I wanted it to give. So after a good hour (or more, I lost track of time), I finished the new door!
(click for full-size)
The old 'real' entrance on the right, with the new and improved one 
on the left.
I still have a fairly long list of graphics to replace and edit, so things will change visually (some things). These include re-doing the other regular doors going from world hub place to another; the pause menu 'slots'; the options menu 'slots' etc.

This also brings me to the next planned 'thing', to modify the Arcade Door cutscenes, to 'better-fit' and 'not overuse the white fading effect'. Hopefully with these I'll use some particles to make it look much better than it currently is.

I am also in the process of drawing up the level design for the 'Thought' Quality level. This I hope to have finished (and implemented) within the next week (or so), moving onto the next Quality level - 'Speed'. These will be a challenge for me, as I want to... make them 'difficult' but not overly, emphasizing on their set characteristics and hopefully exploiting them in such a way that it makes for fun gaming. These Quality levels will also make use of a new 'pad' as well (like the Save, Exit, Next and Finish pads), the 'Checkpoint' pad, with the levels being longer than the others. These 'Checkpoints' will enable the player to leave the level completely, being able to return to that Checkpoint at a later date. More info. about Checkpoints will be released with the coming of the Quality level beta.

The two planned extra Arcade levels have also gone under a bit of 're-thought' as they'll now serve as the bonus levels, fitting in how I originally imagined it. The 'core' and 'wasteland' Arcade levels will not be out for a while however, and will have difficulties equal to the fourth level and higher.

The world hub has also been extended to the Quality level select area (now the world hub goes - OUTSIDE: begin, dungeon entrance; DUNGEON: begin, Arcade level main, Junction, Descent, Quality level main), with the 'Pit', 'Darkness', 'Path', 'Core', 'Final Descent', 'Floor' and Secret areas being built at a later date.

I think I managed to release enough 'spoilers' there, so that about wraps up this blog!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment