Well, it's been a few days since I released BETA one, and I think that I have most of the feedback I need to continue and fix in the game. Overall, I was pleased with the positive feedback (thanks to those who did test and provide feedback). If you still want to test/provide feedback, then don't hold back, I need all the feedback I can get.
From what I gathered in the feedback comments (those made on here, MSN and email) I've made a list in what needs to be changed in the next BETA to the current game:
Things that have already been fixed:
- "Best Time" Update on the Congratulations Screen changed, now fits in with the rest of the "flashing", when it updates, a small white flash will appear, will ONLY cover the "Best Time: ### seconds" however, as I felt flashing the whole screen didn't fit in.
- Decorations and Details added to the Dungeon Areas in World HUB. This was what I wanted to add, I wasn't happy with the Dungeon tile-set, so I tweaked it a bit and added in decorations etc.
- Cutscene (both Gem Powering and Door Powering) speed increased by a third.
- Cutscene (Gem Powering) improved to give the feeling of empowerment, the screen now begins shaking subtly and upon powering even further, the screen begins to shake more violently.
- Loading Slot in Main Menu now not available if Save File doesn't exist. Pretty small fix, but it was needed.
- Room details changed (applies to some) - adding little bits of decoration to rooms which needed it.
Things that need to be fixed:
- Layout of the Congratulations Level End screen, need to increase space in some areas.
- Saving particle effect, needs to be removed and replaced with a working save mechanism which shows the player when the game has saved (have an idea for this already).
- Menus requiring the same key to select in all places. This will most likely take the longest, but it should be able to be done. If I can't get the CROSS button (space) to select in all menus, then I will be forced to choose another key (preferably the TRIANGLE button (x)).
- Level HUD - at current it looks fairly unpolished. Want to fix this with the displaying of the current Level Time, along with the Level.
- Pause Menu - fixing up the rectangles which the text is placed in. This is half finished at current, and I think look 100% better.
Coming in BETA Two:
There are going to be a fair amount of new things in the second BETA mainly because the majority of time was spent on creating Menus for the first BETA.
- Second Level - Earth theme
- Third Level - Fire theme
- Fourth Level - Aero theme
- Cutscenes for Second/Third/Fourth Level.
- Beginning "Dream" cutscene
- Ending "Dream" cutscene
- Ability to "skip" cutscenes.
- Introductory rooms (fitting in with the Beginning and Ending Dreams)
- Improved Main Menu (background) as with some other small tweaks.
- Beginning Introduction (before the Main Menu) improved.
- Dungeon Map being added to the Pause Menu to track where you are in the World HUB
- Controls Menu improved (for PSP controls)
- Controls Menu with Keyboard option support
- Ability to choose which set-up for controls (Keyboard or PSP)
- "Secrets" option added to the Pause Menu, this will be of use far later in development progress.
- Adding Warnings on the Pause Screen when quitting/loading a game (for losing all current unsaved data).
- Exit Slot on the Main Menu.
- Three new areas to explore (after the Arcade Temple room).
- HUD when passing in-front of Level Doors displaying Best Time.
- Decorations added to both the Dungeon and Temple areas.
As you can see, the list is relatively large (compared to the first BETA), but with some of these dot points being relatively quick to do, I plan on having the second BETA out in around two weeks from now.
NOTE: All sprites of the game "Approaching Dawn" in this blog and blog post(s) are © of Andrew Wickens 2010. Permission is NOT used to use any of these sprites except by emailing myself and by posting true ownership of the picture(s) towards myself.