Friday, July 23, 2010

AD: Back on Track

After posting a few screenshots of Approaching Dawn on the Game Maker Community forums under competition six on the "official" competition thread, I was rather nervous at first to see how it was received. Much to my surprise a lot of people complimented the graphics (with some feedback on the graphics side of things), so I've now been... "inspired" to complete this game before the competition of 31st August. This will be a.. difficult feat, but should be achievable if I put a bit of work into it.

This is why you'll most likely see less of me here on the blog. I will post, I'm not going to let this "almost-habit" die out on me, just that school and making Approaching Dawn are of higher priority at the current time.

After posting it on the forums I also received some feedback towards the game's look. It was very well received apart from two comments who offered some feedback. One asked why the "triangle" button was upside down (it was the down button) and another commented on the background of the mountain area (which I agreed about, it was need of fixing for a while now). So that very day I modified both the mountain background sprite and the directional PSP buttons!
Screenshot showing both the changes.
You may ask - "Why make the directional buttons square, that's still not the PSP shape!" But to be frank, I find the PSP directional buttons rather ugly when putting an exact copy of the "shape" so I decided a square, due to the player being able to tell the different between the Triangle button (a circle upright triangle outline) to the Down button (a square upside-down triangle). I also first had the new mountains background using three colours, but figured I'd rest with two as the third didn't make it fit the graphics.

Apart from this I've also been working on a few of the Level End cutscenes when you first complete the level (similar to the cutscene in the first BETA). These cutscenes and the last segment of the fourth level are the last things to be completed (major things) before I (hopefully) release the second BETA on Sunday. If it isn't out by then I'm in very deep trouble!

You may also notice that I have now made a few pages, About Me, HERO: Stone of Wonder, and Approaching Dawn. The pages of games in particular will hold basic information about the game, along with a few screenshots and download links. Hopefully this will allow me to better-organise the blog and improve it vastly.

On a final note I have hit a milestone, with the release of the second BETA Approaching Dawn will be the most complete game that I've created so far. I will be using all my strength to persist with it!

Enjoy!


NOTE: All sprites of the game "Approaching Dawn" in this blog and blog post(s) are © of Andrew Wickens 2010. Permission is NOT used to use any of these sprites except by emailing myself and by posting true ownership of the picture(s) towards myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment