Saturday, July 17, 2010

AD: Arcade Frenzy and Major Changes


Well, back at school now so progress has slowed quite a bit. The second BETA is on its way (with only the fourth level requiring to be completed and a few small touches). However I may push the BETA back in date. I know I said I would definitely have it out by the 18th, but due to some unforeseen problems, I want to fix those before the release.

This also brings me to my next point - Approaching Dawn will not be ready before the deadline of the sixth YoYo Games Competition. I know this is very unfortunate, but due to the sheer importance of school, and not having a longer holidays (the Summer Competition was aimed at those who were actually on their Summer holidays), I cannot physically have it done.

You may be thinking this is the time for me to pull out an excuse, leg it and abandon this project like I did to my others. No, I'm not going to abandon the game - if anything, this deadline "stress" being removed will improve the quality of the game because I can now add in the things I wanted to which didn't make the cut for the Competition!

This means of course, more levels and overall more content! It also allows me to improve the overall quality of the current developed content which I had to rush through to make. (I will throw a Demo up on the YoYo Games site with a Competition06 tag for the sake of having a go and hopefully getting some good feedback.

Now that this has happened, I can now reveal some of the things which I have planned to release and change:

  •  Two more Arcade levels - "Wasteland" and "Core" themed Arcade levels which will not be linked to the four at the current time.
  •  Running "ability" removed - This will instead be replaced with the reward of a Background Story Scroll.
  •  Stone Slab Hint mini-games - To reveal the hint on the Stone Slab you'll have to play a short quick-paced mini-game.
  •  More World HUB areas - This means more exploration which also allows me to add in some new levels and mini-games.
  •  Mini-games - such as top-down "dodge the falling stagmite"; which will reward the player with a Background Story Scroll.


Of course some of these still won't make it into the game, because I do want to get this game done and dusted as soon as possible.

The Storyline and plot will also be re-worked allowing for a full introduction and small cutscenes here and there throughout the game (excluding the level cutscenes). Hopefully this will improve the quality of the entire storyline which is carried over to the second game too.

Finally, I want to rework some of the graphics (of course this won't happen until the near release so long time away!

While I'm at it, I'll throw up some screenshots of the third and fourth Arcade levels!:

Enjoy!

NOTE: All sprites of the game "Approaching Dawn" in this blog and blog post(s) are © of Andrew Wickens 2010. Permission is NOT used to use any of these sprites except by emailing myself and by posting true ownership of the picture(s) towards myself.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! The graphics are very high quality and I'll be waiting for the demo.

    ReplyDelete