Download Link Removed
As you can see above there is a link to download the first BETA for Approaching Dawn. I was fairly pleased with the outcome result for the first BETA, finishing off some small things just a few hours ago.
This BETA focuses pretty much on the layout of things in the Game: Main Menu, Pause Menu, Options/Controls Menu, Level Start/End Screen, Cutscene layout, Level layout. I do know however that the first Level is rather short, but don't fret! As they will get longer and more difficult as you progress.
This BETA is a relatively short BETA in terms of content, with there being only around 5-10 minutes of playable time. I wanted this mainly so I could get some feedback before moving on (perfect what I have now, without moving on and causing more imperfect things).
In the .zip file you should find the executable file and the readme file. I suggest reading the readme file because it contains all the controls/information about the BETA (plus it shouldn't take long to read).
In the Game itself, has a few functioning things. Below I'll list the key aspects I need feedback on:
- Saving - frequent enough?
- Level Start screen - does it feel crowded, does it fit in?
- Level End screen - any suggestions/feedback is welcome for this particular screen.
- Cutscene - do I need to add anything more to the Cutscene, is the Powering Gem giving the impression of Power?
- Level - Should I make each segment of a Level inside a different room, or should I merge it all into the one room?
- World HUB - Is it straight forward knowing where to go?
- Menus - Are they presented well, is there any likes/dislikes about the differing Menus?
I also know there isn't enough sound in the Game at the present time, I'm very aware of this, but it isn't at the top of my to-do list.
My contact info. is in the readme file, leaving a comment on the blog also helps a ton.
NOTE: All sprites of the game "Approaching Dawn" in this blog and blog post(s) are © of Andrew Wickens 2010. Permission is NOT used to use any of these sprites except by emailing myself and by posting true ownership of the picture(s) towards myself.