I plan on releasing VT:AD late January, which means hopefully it'll be ready before then (2-3 weeks should be more than enough to finish off what I have left to do, but I'm not going to rush it).
I'm deciding on how exactly to release VT:AD, and have come up with the following three options:
- Option A: I release a low quality version (without a soundtrack) to the YoYo Games website. I will then release a version with a soundtrack to Game Jolt. The music tracks will be within the executable file meaning it'll only be one file (two if I include a readme).
- Option B: I release a low quality version (without a soundtrack) to both YoYo Games and Game Jolt. I then upload the soundtrack by itself to a file-hosting site (in a ZIP folder). The folder will contain all necessary music pieces for the game. If the player wants to add the soundtrack to the game, they'll have to up-zip the folder and move the un-zipped folder to the same directory as the executable file. The only problem with this is that the files are able to be copied/moved etc. the folder will also include the details about rights, copyright etc.
- Option C: I release a low quality version (without a soundtrack) to both YoYo Games and Game Jolt. Then I upload a version with the soundtrack to Game Jolt. The music tracks, like Option A, will be within the executable file.
These three options should (all) utilize the fact I want a less-intense download (~10Mb) and a more-intense download for the game with the full soundtrack (~30Mb). This should also stop people from complaining ("I'm not playing, I want music." and "File size too big, not going to download.").
I may as well say what's left to do in the game!
- The Final Level - this (surprisingly) shouldn't take THAT long to complete, possibly 2-3 days once I get the room concepts done on paper.
- The Speed Level - this level STILL hasn't been finished as I want another nice idea as the last room of the level.
- The Thought Level - again, I'm thinking of an awesome last room to finish off this level.
- The World HUB - pretty much complete, just need to add the Bonus level room and the two last HUB rooms. Pretty simple.
- New Game Cutscene - I plan on doing an overhaul on the old one to make it a lot more fitting and to reflect the new changed plot.
- The Ending Cutscene - Probably the largest of all the cutscenes, in this one I'm be using a mock-up character to give the feeling of the way the player actually moves (except isn't being controlled by the player), plus it is pretty graphic-intense so.. yeah.
- Final Level Cutscenes - these smallish cutscenes for the Final Level should be relatively easy to make, but however somewhat graphic-intense.
- Bonus Level Cutscenes - small cutscenes which don't really require THAT much new graphical stuff.
- Game Intro Cutscene (when you begin running the .exe) - just to make it more fitting.
- The Two Bonus Levels - relatively smaller levels (compared to the Final Level) so should get done within a few days if I concept the layout on paper first.
- Adding Music - adding music to the game (I have a total of 17 tracks to be used), along with a lot more sounds, possibly some ambient noises to give the areas a better 'unique feel'.
After that it's just testing and tweaking that remain to be done. So until then, thanks!